Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Mommy....mommy.....mommy!"

My children have hit the "mommy" stage. I am pretty sure that between Payton and Weston, mommy is said more than 50 times a day. It doesn't matter if I am cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, talking or going to the bathroom, my name is being spoken.
Sometimes I wonder if Payton is going to have a stuttering problem. She says, "Mommy, um, um, um, um, um; I, I, I, I need water." I wonder if she just says mommy before she realizes what she wants or if she needs anything.
About 8pm at night I am thinking of responding this way to the kids:

BUT...I smile and say, "Mommy is right here, what do you need?" Oh the joys of parenting.....I bet before too long I will ask them to zip their lips though!

I have been reading Love and Logic again to make sure that I am being an okay parent. I love their books. I try to listen to them in my car on my iPod so I can drown out Payton yelling, MOMMY!" Phahahaha

Here is a link to the Love and Logic website! Check out their free resources. Sign up for their email. I get it once a week and they are usually quite funny and have a good message behind them. 
                                         http://www.loveandlogic.com/articles.html 

My favorite is their "One-Liners" 

Kids seem to have a repertoire of "hooks" they use to get their parents to argue with them. Here are some Love and Logic One-Liners that will get parents off the hook and cause children to do more of the thinking.
Remember: The "one-liners" are only effective when said with genuine compassion and understanding. These are never intended to be flippant remarks that discount the feelings of the child. If an adult uses these responses to try to get the better of a child, the problem will only become worse. The adult's own attitude at these times is crucial to success.
  • "Probably so."
  • "I know."
  • "Nice try."
  • "I bet it feels that way."
  • "What do you think you're going to do."
  • "I don't know. What do you think?"
  • "Bummer. How sad." (I say this all the time to Payton, especially when I tell her she can't wear flip-flops when its cold out and she argues and cries)
  • "Thanks for sharing that."
  • "Don't worry about it now."
  • "That's an option."
  • "I bet that's true."
  • "Maybe you'll like what we have for the next meal better."
  • "What do you think I think about that?"
  • "I'm not sure how to react to that. I'll have to get back to you on it."
  • "I'll let you know what will work for me."
  • "I'll love you wherever you live." (I can't wait for Payton to say she is going to live with Gma and Papa and that will be my response! LOL)

GOOD LUCK! and send some back to me! 


SMILE-Tomorrow is Thursday!
JiLL

No comments:

Post a Comment